Monday, August 20, 2007

And we're back. Presently we're staring down the barrel of the 2007-2008 cyclocross season. That means we skipped straight over the whole 2006-2007 season without a single post. My bad.

Turns out I did a little racing last season, in the A's this time. I didn't train at 100% as I had for the B's and ended up with several obstacles throughout the year...friends passing away, lots of work travel, blah blah. So it wasn't a perfect year and the A's are frigging fast. And there's that extra 15 minutes. Barry Wicks lapped me every time he lined up but I don't feel that bad about that.

It actually went pretty well, with a few top 20 finishes and some generally respectable mid-packery. And I wasn't even the last of the HRS Rock Lobster riders. It's tough to call that success but it's not a total failure either. All the moreso since my motivation was definitely in the dumps last season. I probably could have loitered around in the B's for another year and continued to build up my self esteem, but somehow it would have seemed wrong, and I just wanted to see if I could ride in the A's and finish better than DFL. And I did.

But that was last year.

Since then I've ridden more, and pushed harder, but still haven't applied the focus and drive that I had in 05. But I've put in some good miles and I don't feel far off from race fitness, whatever that means. Recently the evil PowerTap went back on and preliminary testing for 30sec intervals shows my max power is up by quite a bit, which is a good sign, but I'm not so sure about my threshold power, which is really a better indicator of theoretical cross-o-rific-ness. We'll see where that number stands soon.

In the meantime, all that's left is to cram as much quality training into what's left of August and into September, and try not to let my delicate mental state undermine my motivation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home