Thursday, November 24, 2005

It's been a while...lots to tell.

So, my last update was just prior to Pilarcitos Round 2. I guess I've been busy, cause a lot's happened since then and I haven't updated for a while. So here goes.

Pilarcitos Round 2 was rough. The stress of racing and the pressure of not having much form for a while was really eating at me, and on the rides leading up to this race I couldn't get my HR up beyond 169. Not a good sign at all. Before the race, I sat in my car and fought to hold in tears of frustration. My outlook for the day was not good.

While warming up, Robert Mau came flying past me, an obvious taunt. I caught him, and for maybe 30 seconds we dueled wheel to wheel before I finally passed him at the top of a barrier...disrupting him. He stopped with a smile and slapped me on the back. This sticks in my mind because because it proved to me, and maybe to Robert, that in a head-to-head battle I can hold my own even against him, which is something I've not been able to to this season so far.

I get my call-up to 5th, based on the first round finish. And Blam, we're racing. I get a mediocre start as Eric Nelson and Mau go flying off. I'm in a group of 6 chasers. Then I fall off the pace. That's pretty much where I remained for most of the race. I rode a smooth, consistent and crash-free race, I hammered the rough sections and pavement to try and make up as much time as I could. I saw Granshaw behind me and prayed I could keep him there. The sand on this course was brutal, and there was a 50-yard zig-zag section that was tough to ride or run clean...I pretty much got through however I could. On the last lap, I caught Jim McDonald, a personal triumph because so far I've only beat him at the previous Pilarcitos race. He was groaning in pain as I passed him. After the race I'd learn his calves had cramped up. Eric Nelson won, and I would finish 6th. Not as bad as I'd feared. And Granshaw, in our first race against each other, finished 16th or something.

Next update, Surf City round 2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home