Friday, October 07, 2005

Welcome to my blog. Here you can read about my current cyclocross season, and I’ll probably also bitch and moan about work and other unrelated things now and then. But for now, I’ll bring things up to date since I’ve started this a few weeks into my season.

Race: Sacramento Series #1

I had trouble sleeping the whole week leading up to this race. Nerves. Stomach trouble. I’m all freaked out, with almost a year of hard training and preparation behind me I have no idea what would happen but my expectations were very high.

On race day, I got a great start and stayed in the top 3 for the whole race. Excellent. I think I had the win in my legs, but unfortunately I threw my chain repeatedly on one rough, clumsy barrier/run-up section and had to stop several times and put the chain back on. I took the lead about halfway through when Jim McD flatted. A lap later and I flatted, and I guess two riders (Jim and Dixon) passed me. Finished 3rd overall and 2nd in the 30+ group.

Good result but bittersweet.

Race: Sacramento Series #2

A week later, and I’m still a little nervous. Familiar course, Negro Bar I think, with a stairway run-up which I really like. Ballistic at the start and I had to jump on the backstretch to reach the lead group. Then a little into the first lap the lead group slowed down on this grassy false flat, so I attacked like hell and shattered the field. I led for several laps but four riders (Eric, Jim McD and some unknown) worked together a bit and sat in on me, and then later attacked me. I didn’t have a response and I finished 4th overall. Or so I thought.

Turns out one of the three in front of me was an A’s or a junior or something, so I was 3rd overall and 2nd in age group. Another solid finish but I was a little down on myself, starting to worry that I wouldn’t win a race this year.

Race: Sac Series #3

Second race of the weekend. It helps a ton to stay at Kate and Roby’s house in Sac. Less driving, more relaxing. Without that I doubt I’d be able to do as many Sac races as I’m planning.

First news of the day, turns out I won yesterday. 3rd overall but both Jim and Eric are under 30, so that’s me with my first win! A little pressure is off now, which helps. I’m also now tied for the overall 30+ lead with Dan D.

This race is epic. Familiar course, and I simply rode away from the field, start to finish. I don’t think I was out of the lead for more than a few seconds at the start. Flawless race, no crashes, tossed chains, flats, nothing. Paced myself well, keeping pressure on. Jim and Eric were super cool (they didn’t race,(fried from previous day, their clubs are running these races) but they gave me encouragement and updates on the chasers. I was mostly keeping an eye on Dan D, my biggest overall threat. With three to go, he snapped and I had a comfortable gap. I eased up for a lap, trying to save a little energy and not risk a crash, but then with 1.5 laps to go I see someone gaining on me. A junior? A lapped rider? No, he’s coming up too strong. With one lap to go he’s suddenly within striking distance, but I made critical hard efforts on the climbs, especially the 2nd paved hill, to keep him at bay.

I can hear his pedal strokes. Pressure is on but he doesn’t have much room to catch/pass me and I didn’t let up. I’m thinking…don’t crash…don’t flat…don’t blow up…and I didn’t. I won alone, by a handful of seconds to spare, somewhere between 8 and 17. More than enough. The feeling is like nothing I can explain.

Turns out the guy is Ryan F. Strong and I’m sure I’ll tangle with him again, but he’s under 30 as well. I now have the overall lead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home