Thursday, November 24, 2005

A weekend of no racing. Finally!

I'm not sure, but I think there was a weekend with no races here. And I did...nothing...and it felt great. Who knows if I should have done a bit more with the bike those days. Probably. But mentally the break was good.

Next on the menu is Sacramento Series Finals. I'm nervous but confident for this one. I compulsively review the points, and it looks like only Dan Dixon is really a threat to my overall win. Still, I dream of crushing the whole field. It's not likely but not impossible.

The course is Negro Bar. Good course with stairs and stuff. Different route than I did earlier in the year. I warm up, but I feel sluggish. And I don't like the course much...it has some very risky sections and I'm just not in the mood for it I guess. I warm up with Ryan Fowler and he's nearly dropping me on the tricky parts. But I'm strong, right?

For a while it was looking like Dan Dixon didn't show, but turns out he did. And he look strong. That's okay...I'm confident and ready to fight.

Call ups go off, and I'm 3rd for that. And we start on a long paved secion, leading into one of the sketchy corners. I sit on Jimbo's wheel and come inside on the corner, and then lay down my typcial first lap blitz. I hit the stairs with a second gap. But I fade and as the race goes on, several riders find their way past me, including Fowler. But Dan Dixon is done for, thankfully, so my job is already done, in some regards. Fowler and I would duke it out for the remainder of the race, with me reeling him in and passing him when he botched a barrier bunnyhop on the climb. He caught me later but I attacked and shook him off. I think I finished 5th, behind Steve Tam and some East Sac wheelsucker guy named Paul.

And Poof. That's me 3rd overall in Sacramento CX, and first overall at Sac CX for 30+. I get a super sweet Sacramento CX Overall Winner's Jersey. I'm very happy about this. I'm also happy to have bettered Fowler, who's a strong, skilled guy.

But I'm disappointed a little with the day's ride. I feel like I had more than I brought to the table this day, and part of it might have been the course. I hit the stairs with amazing speed and grace, but a few of the sketchy bits, I might have lost a little time. And it all adds up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home